I’m really displeased with my 1And1 virtual server. I took it because I didn’t want to spend time on some potential disk failures. And since the Oct, 19 2009 2:00 AM, i’ve seen my load average totally exploding. I guess the disk was totally busy with an other virtual server.
I called them and they did a really awesome test : the PING test and even the web page test. I tried to explain them that this wasn’t the best way to test if the server was working, but well they told me that maybe I just messed up my configuration.
I managed to deal with my anger against 1&1 by watching some libdubs.
And today, two days later, the problem is fixed. Load average came back to some good values “0.00, 0.01, 0.00”.
By the way, you might not know what is the load of an UNIX / Linux server : It’s the number of running processes of the system. It should be inferior to the number of processors. The load is averaged by 1, 5 and 15 minutes.
Here are some sample libdubs just in case you’re too lazy to check :
Author Florent Clairambault